- HOW DO YOU TAKE YOUR COFFEE?
Long black with coconut milk.
- WHAT DOES A TYPICAL DAY LOOK LIKE FOR YOU?
I work freelance so it depends on the day! I always start with a coffee, then after getting up to date with emails I’m usually straight into sourcing product for a shoot, researching for an upcoming project or installing a display… My husband and I end most days at the beach, running our dog Luka.
- TELL US THE STORY BEHIND NOOSA LODGE, HOW DID THIS ALL COME ABOUT?
We opened The Lodge at the end of 2016 with a vision to create a home away from home for people visiting Noosa. We wanted people to experience what we have on a daily basis. We took inspiration from the Sunshine Coast landscape and the Noosa surf culture for our concept for The Lodge. We wanted to offer something more than your standard holiday rental and were lucky that our location allows you to get involved in the Noosa lifestyle. The style/vibe of the house (pre-renovation) allowed us to interpret our take on a modern surf lodge without compromising on comforts. It’s nice to bring a new standard of relaxed luxury to the coast and our future guests.
- WE LOVE THE DECOR AT THE LODGE. HAVE YOU ALWAYS HAD AN EYE FOR INTERIORS? TELL US ABOUT HOW THIS IS A CREATIVE OUTLET FOR YOU:
My background is wardrobe and fashion styling but has since evolved into interiors. The coastal lifestyle has been a huge influence on me and the way I’ve approached the styling at The Lodge. It’s given me a chance to apply that clean, easy-going aesthetic to the space and the response has been overwhelming!
- BEST PIECE OF ADVICE YOU’VE EVER RECEIVED:
Run your own race – don’t focus on what everyone else is doing. You do you!
- WHAT’S BEEN THE BIGGEST EYE-OPENER FOR YOU WHEN OPENING UP YOUR ACCOMMODATION?
That Noosa needs more of this style of accomodation! We had in the back of minds (hoping) that is was going to be popular but we didn’t expect it to take on a life of its own! Not sure if it was a lack of similar style properties or a job well done on our part, but we’re grateful nonetheless. We’ve also met some incredible people along the way that we wouldn’t have had the chance to meet if we didn’t open The Lodge.
- TOP FIVE THINGS TO DO IN NOOSA OR THE SUNSHINE COAST AREA:
One: Walk the Noosa National Park
Two: Drink a beer at the Land and Sea Brewery
Three: Eat breakfast and go for a wander at Peregian Beach
Four: Swim at Little Cove Beach
Five: Shop at CLO Studios in Noosa Heads
- WHAT IS YOUR GO-TO REMEDY WHEN YOU’RE STUCK IN A CREATIVE RUT?
Take a walk, eat some cake, listen to some hip-hop, scrawl through Pinterest… Anything to take my mind off it, even if only for an hour or two.
- HOW DO YOU START YOUR WEEK?
Coffee and my list for the week! I’m all about the lists.
- WHAT ABOUT ENDING THE WEEK?
We have a lot of weekend stays at The Lodge so it’s usually spent preparing the house. My husband has his own business too so we usually try to knock off early together on a Friday though!
- TELL US ABOUT A PROJECT YOU’VE LOVED SO FAR THIS YEAR?
We’ve just finished a house renovation in Noosa Heads (our PB of 6 weeks!) that has just gone on the market.
- WHAT HAS BEEN THE BIGGEST HURDLE WITH STARTING YOUR OWN BUSINESS?
I’ve worked freelance for years so I’m used to small business but it’s completely different with accommodation. Also we had a limited budget when we first renovated so I think of the house as a ‘work in progress’, but we’re aiming to update a few things on the property soon to keep us evolving.
- NEXT ADVENTURE OR PROJECT YOU CAN SHARE?
We’ve got a cool project coming up in Queenstown, NZ very soon so we’re pretty pumped!
- WHAT IS ONE LESSON YOUR BUSINESS HAS TAUGHT YOU ABOUT LIFE?
Don’t sweat the small stuff!
Photos by Tess Robinson.